Friday, September 5, 2008

Are we there yet?

Oh, wait! It's waaaaaayyyy too early to be asking such a question. We haven't even left yet.

However, we do leave soon, and most of the work is done except for a few details and then the loading and actual leaving. Which means, most of my time is now spent agonizing over possible missed details and hoping I remember how to use the rally computer.

Our Timewise unit actually functioned flawlessly last year, in the face of repeated trouble from many people's Terratrips around us, but for the computer to be any good, the shaven ape sitting in front of it has to put down the banana long enough to fiddle and twiddle the knobs, switches, levers, steam vents, and flux capacitors long enough to generate some meaningful numbers for the driver. This is where the system is most likely to break down.

It's not so much the computer that I'm worried about, but my ability to make a bunch of flashing red lights a good result of flying down a public road at felonious velocities, as opposed to the usual result.

I think I'll spend my weekend poring over the 100-something page manual, making sure I'm more confused than I am now. Seriously, the thing came with a phone book! Luckily we only really use a couple of the key functions on that multiplicitous device, so I can skip ahead to the appropriate pages before smoke starts to waft and then blast out of my ears.

Wish me luck and wait for tuesday! That's when we hit the road. I expect all of you to switch to a beef jerky and Mountain Dew diet regime, and sleep in three hour increments in sympathy.

Thanks for reading...

No comments: