Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Zero Hour

Today's the day boys and girls. We're actually leaving. Of course, that's the easy part, or so they say.
I've been fairly scrambling since yesterday afternoon to attend to all the last minute details, and so on. That's not to mention the fact that our trailer situation came into question on sunday afternoon, and we only figured it out for certain last night. I may have had several small heart attacks, and I'm pretty sure I chewed all of my fingernails off (and maybe more than that) during the night last night.

I've spent the morning finalizing details and loading the truck, plus taping up the front of the spare car. What spare car you say? I say, we're taking a spare car, rather than taking one apart and loading all the parts into an enclosed trailer, we're loading my street car onto a two car flatbed. The hope is that we'll get better fuel mileage and a spare car is easier to move around than a huge pile of spare parts.

Now, I haven't mentioned the weather. Texas is dry. Really. But, due to the stream of hurricanes churning up from the Caribbean this time of year, we're having unseasonal rains, making loading and packing that much more difficult, or at least wet and unpleasant.

At this point, all of my stuff is loaded and ready to go, and I'm expecting to go pick up the trailer here in an hour or so. Then I can bring it home, switch trucks, load my car on the trailer and head for Nick's so we can rinse and repeat.

The plan is to be on the road by 7pm tonight, so wish us luck!

To get an up to date idea of how the event is going, follow car #705 on this link:
http://rallyscoring.com/results/index.htm

That's the official timing and scoring page and it should be updated at midday and at night each day. Hopefully we'll run up toward the top.

We're shooting for for Nashville by sunrise, see you there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, the date came fast!! I didn;t realize that you were so close already. The best of luck to you guys, I am excited to live vicariously through your blog!

Andy

George B said...

He that travels in theory has no inconveniences; he has shade and sunshine at his disposal, and wherever he alights finds tables of plenty and looks of gaiety. These ideas are indulged till the day of departure arrives, the chaise is called, and the progress of happiness begins. A few miles teach him the fallacies of imagination. The road is dusty, the air is sultry, the horses are sluggish. He longs for the time of dinner that he may eat and rest. The inn is crowded, his orders are neglected, and nothing remains but that he devour in haste what the cook has spoiled, and drive on in quest of better entertainment. He finds at night a more commodious house, but the best is always worse than he expected.
Samuel Johnson


May the worst be better than you expect and the best as well. Be safe and good luck.

George B