Friday, September 12, 2008

We.....made.....it!

It's true, we're finally in St. John's, and we're in good shape. I'm happy to report we actually had no issues of any kind on the trip. We took a Dodge tow vehicle this year and it got 14.3mpg all the way across North America, purring along quietly, and we had no flats or other trailer issues. As a result, we made it to the ferry terminal in North Sydney, Nova Scotia in 43 hours dead, including a miniscule 2:05 in total time stopped over 2580 miles. That's over 4 hours better than last year, not too shabby.

The trip was rather uneventful, but we did pass rather close to Yum Yum, Tennessee which was before the firsts Febreeze usage. On a trip of this length, without substantive stops, we guage our progress by the number of Febreeze applications, not days/nights. It's practical, and it smells better.

We did pass a large group of trailered Porsches on their way to VIR as we headed into Wytheville, VA for our first actual food stop. Burger King tastes really good after 15 hours of non-stop driving, really.

I also remembered as we crossed out of NY into the rest of New England that I had forgotten to put any jeans in the truck, they were all packed away in the car on the trailer. I thought of this because I noticed the outside temperature display on the truck was showing a temp of 48 degrees. It would end up at a low for 39 overnight in Maine. Needless to say I didn't spend much time outside the truck during that time frame.

As we stopped for fuel in Springhill, Nova Scotia (no, I don't know where that is, so please don't ask) I realized that I didn't smell very good. Now, we were on F-3 (that's Febreeze application #3 to the layman), so the truck itself didn't have any particularly offensive smells. I, however, decided that I smelled like something that ended up in Roseanne Barr's clothes hamper the day after she won an Indian food eating contest. As in, kinda funky, on a big scale.

I would also like to report that there is such a thing in this world as a McLobster. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what this abomination might look/taste like, mainly because I don't know and I hope never to.

I only have two more tidbits to report before we head off for dinner to try to run into some friends like Marc LaChappelle and Roy Hopkins, who we already saw in the parking lot.

First, ordering a sandwich at Tim Horton's without one of their three 'special sauces', which include mayonnaise, honey mustard, and ranch dressing, causes the entire staff to grind to a halt as they stare at one another in amazement, wondering what sort of sauceless clod would even eat such a thing. It's true. We got away with it, but I wouldn't try it again. I think I saw an old lady crying in horror, really.

Second....wait for it....no....not yet....okay, here it is...........(a few more)..... I SAW A MOOOOOOSE!!!! Sadly, it was dead on the side of the road, having had a fatal meeting with a truck no doubt, but it appeared to be a real moose. I was beginning to fear that there really were no moose in Newfoundland, or that maybe they were only for the initiated, that I wasn't part of the secret club. Perhaps I wasn't worthy of seeing a moose. Well, at least I'm worthy of seeing roadkill, and that's good enough for me for now.

We're truly excited to be here, so now it's off to mingle. More in the morning!

No comments: